PRO is a collaborative effort melding one of Argentina’s most established outfitters with arguably the finest golden dorado guides worldwide. It’s situated on the Río Paraná—the second longest river in South America at over 2,450 miles long. This subtropical winter fishery is ideal for a cast and blast, combing Cordoba doves, BA Province ducks or Uruguay mixed-bag shoots. Seasonally aggressive dorado chase the vast migrating shoals of Sábalo, gouging and growing to sizes of 10 to 40+ lbs. These fish are targeted by both fly and conventional tackle.
You cover the river on custom tricked out Carolina skiffs with double decks, designed specifically for the Paraná and captained by tenured bilingual guides. After two full years of scouting, guides are keyed in on fish habits and holding waters. Fly and conventional tackle are both optimum.
You are hosted in a quaint 18 room all-inclusive boutique hotel near the Parana Riverfront in a small sub-tropical Argentine town. Hearty local cuisine accompanied by classic Argentine wines is the culinary foundation. Trips feature shared occupancy; single rooms are available for a surcharge.
7 - 9wt. fast-action fly rods with weight forward tropical floating line and tropical sink-tip line. Sturdy reels with heavy drag systems. Knotable wire is a must. Tropical weight flats clothing, layers, flats sneakers and full raingear seasonally. A full gear list is provided upon booking.
• Tropical Argentine winter season-Days average in 70’s to high-50’s and nights cool to 60’s to 40’s Fahrenheit. NOTE: this is a winter fishery so light waders and warm fall weight clothing are necessary in addition to flats clothing.
• Layered clothing and raingear are key for fluctuating temperature comfort.
• Some wading is offered & flats boots are helpful.
• Best lodge access is Resistencia or Corrientes City-Under 2 hours–commercial flights daily.
• Season: June 20-November 5.
• Anglers spend a full day on the river approximately 8:30 to 6:30.
7-night/6-day Fishing Package: $5,425 per angler shared room/guide
Any Length of Stay: $775 per night / angler
Single Room Surcharge: $100 per room / night
Fishing License: $50 per person
Tackle Rental: $25 per day
Regional transfers not included, but can be booked by Frontiers
In October and November of 2018, I did a sweeping road trip of all the Dorado fisheries in northeastern Argentina visiting all our Frontiers destinations, including Pira Lodge, Parana River Outfitters, Suinda Lodge, Delta Lodge and the Golden Dorado River Cruiser.
The first thing that stuck out to me is the diversity of atmosphere and fisheries. I handpicked all these dorado destinations myself. However, each could not be ...